- Boulder Valley schools will apply for $10 million over four years in federal Race to the Top dollars. Daily Camera
- Denver Public School board at-large candidate Barbara O’Brien defended her support of a small voucher pilot in 2003. Colorado Statesman
- State Rep. Millie Hamer is touring Summit County, trying to drum up support for Amendment 66. Summit Daily
- Former U.S. Education Secretary Bill Bennett lauded Douglas County’s reforms. Our Colorado News
- Colorado Springs school districts spend millions of dollars each year on substitute teachers. KOAA
- A program in Eagle County is teaching entrepreneurial skills to kindergartners. Vail Daily
- The spread of for-profit education companies is sparking fears that student learning isn’t their first priority. Politico
- Washington, D.C. officials say they should have better explained changes to standardized test scoring. Washington Post
- Teachers surveyed by PACE say that they’re in favor of a simpler licensing process. EdNews Colorado
- A Democratic consultant says that Rep. Jared Polis’ antipathy toward Diane Ravitch is rooted in a mis-understanding of public education. Stillwater Gazette
- Colorado Community Media says the price to fix Littleton’s school buildings is a small one for the benefits gained.
Rise & Shine
Each weekday morning, we search websites of various media, comb through RSS feeds and peruse Google alerts to bring you a roundup of the day’s top education headlines, in Colorado and across the country, by 8 a.m. If you’d like to suggest a story we’ve missed or a source we should add to the list, please email us at email@example.com.